Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Cranberry Apple Casserole

Lots of friends have requested this recipe in the past.  It's a great dish for Thanksgiving or Christmas - or anytime.  It's so sweet, that it should really be a dessert, but we eat it as a side dish.  I remember the days when it would last Sean and I the better part of a week.  Now with our children it's gone by the end of the first meal.  That makes me happy;  I love it when they love the food I cook!  :-) 
Enjoy!

Mix the following 4 ingredients together and put in a baking dish:
  • 3 cups chopped unpeeled apples
  • 2 cups whole cranberries (I just use the whole bag)
  • 2/3 cup white sugar (I often use Splenda)
  • 1/4 cup water
For the topping, mix together the following:
  • 1 1/2 sticks melted margarine
  • 2 1/4 cups dry oatmeal
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar (or brown sugar substitute)
  • 3/4 cup nuts (optional) - such as pecans
Spread the topping over the apple cranberry mixture and bake at 350 F for one hour.

My aunt adds some spices - perhaps nutmeg and allspice - maybe cloves?  That also tastes delicious.  At Thanksgiving, we usually have two dishes: one made with regular sugar and one with sugar substitute for all the diabetic people.  Scrumptious!

No comments:

Post a Comment