Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Lessons from Habakkuk

Currently we are in language school learning Spanish.  Every Friday, our language teacher gives us topics that we will discuss the next week.  Our homework is to prepare to talk about whatever the topic is for the day.  Today's topic was "una descripción  de una personaje bíblico del A.T. " (that is, a description of a biblical character in the Old Testament.)   One of my favorite Old Testament people is David, but I didn't want to discuss him because I guessed someone else would also want to describe him.  ( I was right!)  I decided to talk about Habakkuk.  Several years ago I had completed a Bible study on Habakkuk, and God used the study in my life.  Over the weekend, I studied Habakkuk once again.  The book is small - only 3 chapters.  What's really cool is that God used this assignment to remind me of His power and that I can rest in Him even during the times when my circumstances are not what I want.  Here is what I wrote for class - please forgive the short, choppy sentences. (The translation is at the bottom.)

Even though someone was able to steal a few of our belongings in this garage and never got caught; I know that God is in control, and He will make things right.  

Habacuc era un propheta que vivía antes la caida de Judá a Babilonia.  Habacuc probablemente vivía en Judá porque su profecía era por Judá.  Él escribió el libro de habacuc en el Antiguo Testamento.

Habacuc era muy frustrado y desalentado porque la gente de Judá no era justa.  Había mucha violencia en la tierra.  Habacuc quería la justicia y la rectitud y él le preguntó a Dios porque Dios permitía los malvados prosperar.  Cuando Dios le dijo que estaba mandando a los caldeos para juzgar a Judá, Habacuc se enoja puesto que los caldeos eran muy malvados.

No obstante, Dios le recordaba a Habacuc que Dios es siempre, siempre, siempre todopoderoso.  Habacuc cambía.  Él aprendía a confiar en Dios.  Habacuc tomó una decisión.  Habacuc decidía descansar y esperar a Dios para juzgar a sus enemigos.

Al fin del libro, Habacuc se alegraba en Dios aunque sus circumstancias eran muy malas.

La personaje de Habacuc me recuerda que Dios es siempre, siempre, siempre todopoderoso y yo puedo descansar aún cuando mis circumstancias son muy malas.  
  Gracias a Dios!


This is our laundry - this afternoon there was a leak from this area; water was all over the floor and on some of our belongings.  Even when bad things like this happen, I can trust that God is in control.  He knows and will take care of me even though some of my circumstances aren't what I would desire.

Habakkuk was a prophet that lived before the fall of Judah in Babylon.  Habakkuk probably lived in Judah because his prophecy was for Judah.  He wrote the book of Habakuk in the Old Testament.

Habakkuk was very frustrated and disappointed because the people of Judah were not just.  There was a lot of violence in the land.  Habakkuk wanted justice and righteousness and he asked God why God permitted the evil to prosper.  When God said that He was sending the Chaldeans to judge Judah, Habakkuk was angry since the Chaldeans were very bad.  

Nevertheless, God reminded Habakkuk that He is always, always, always almighty (omnipotent.)  Habakkuk changed!  He learned to trust in God.  Habakkuk made a decision.  Habakkuk decided to rest and trust in God to judge his enemies.

At the end  of the book, Habakkuk rejoiced in God even though his circumstances were very bad.

The character of Habakkuk reminds me that God is always, always, always almighty and I can rest even when my circumstances are very bad.

Thanks to God!!!


Just like Micah can sleep peacefully here in the hammock knowing I won't let him fall,
I can rest in God knowing that He will make things right
even if at the present time it seems that life's not fair.





1 comment:

  1. Great post, Nancy! And the hammock looks like a fun place to do school...maybe that's what we needed here! ;)

    ReplyDelete